Monday, June 9, 2014

Heading up the Hudson

 

The Hudson Valley is incredibly beautiful.  The river is deep, and there are not enough words to describe it , so this will be mostly pictures... and maybe a story here and there.

Grandpa showing his grandson how to feed the geese.  The geese have been migrating north.



I thought of my friend Susan, when I saw this waterfall.

West Point, US Military Academy.

West Point has castle-like architecture

1828 Kosciusko's Monument at West Point - He assisted the Continental Army during the American Revolution.  This memorial is perched on a hillside, overlooking the Hudson, on the northern part of West Point.

I didn't realize the Army's rival was the Air Force.

Castle Ruins

Castle Ruins

Clearwater, an educational sloop and symbol of environmental awareness.  She is a 106 ft replica of a tall ship.

This little tug is smaller than mine!



It is unusual to see a megayacht pulling a dinghy behind it, like this yacht was doing.

Noteworthy!


John, on Endeavor.  Another looper.

At Norrie State Park, where they have a marina.  Looking out from my slip.
Average Looper and Dream Chaser, two other Looper boats, with me at Norrie State Park

Bruderhof - The Mount Community   
 This castle-like structure across the water from Norrie State Park was originally built by Robert Livingston Pell, who raised apples and grapes.  he was known for developing the Newton Pippin apple.  Then, the property became a Redemptorist Retreat, which was open to all faiths and was called Mount St. Adolphus.  About three years ago, the Bruderhof bought the property and turned it into their highschool.  The Bruderhof are a communal religious group, who have Anabaptist origins.


Esopus Meadows Lighthouse

Kingston Rhinecliff Bridge

Rondout Lighthouse

Quiltwork Barns?
This heron was marking a floating log for me.  Or maybe he was just enjoying his little island.

Saugerties Lighthouse

Hudson Athens Lighthouse
I am south of Albany.  I have bought my season pass to the NY Canals.  I will be staying put for a week, while waiting on some packages in the mail.  This is the last stop before heading through the locks.  Once I am into the locks, I will be staying at town walls, doing some sightseeing, but moving almost daily and into Canada.  This is a major deciding point for most Loopers.  We can go north through Lake Champlain or west through the Erie Canal.  For most Loopers, the deciding factor is if their boat can make it under the bridges.  For those of us, who are singlehanding, there are restrictions in the St. Lawrence Seaway and Chamblis lock, which require more than one person aboard.  Although I have had offers of people coming north with me, my boat is small and not conducive to having another person aboard.  So, the decision is made!  I will head west!







No comments:

Post a Comment