Sunday, July 6, 2014

Starting the Trent Severn Waterway

I am currently in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. I have gone through the first 19 locks on the Trent-Severn Canal.  I think these locks were built for my boat!  The cables, which run down the lock walls, are attached at the top and bottom. They are spaced approximately 14 feet apart, which is approximately the distance between my midship cleat (outside my helm window) and my stern cleat. They do not want the engines running in the locks, as the locks are smaller than along the Erie and Oswego canals.  I have been tying off outside my window at the helm, then going to the back of my boat to tie off the second line.  It has been so easy!

My bruises have not gone away completely from the Erie Canal,and are mostly healed.  I bought some pipe insulation tubing and cut it to fit my front windows, for tying up, to reduce any chance of getting more bruises.  This has been very helpful!

I had to tie up to the port side in a couple locks, but it has not been problematic because of how the locks are set up.

I have gone through two sets of "flight locks", which are two combined locks.  Once the first lock is finished, you move your boat forward into the second lock.  They are impressive!  Locks 11 and 12 have a lift of 48 feet combined.  Locks 16 and 17 go up 54 feet.  The lock masters are responsible for more than just one lock here. For instance the lock master for Lock 15 got the lock raised, told me to head to 16 and 17, and once he was done letting someone else go down the lock, he would head upstream to raise me for the "flight lock" of 16 and 17.

For most of the locks I have been the only boater to lock through.  The lock masters generally call ahead to give subsequent lock masters a heads up on who is on the way.  When the locks are far apart, I will call the lockmaster on my cellphone to let him know I am headed his way.  I have only had to wait a few minutes for a couple locks, due to other people coming downstream.  In general, the locks are ready when I get there.

At each of the locks are walls for waiting to go in, with a blue stripe (I haven't tied off to any yet.)  There are also areas on the walls to tie up your boat for the night.  There is a seasonal pass to cover the cost of "mooring" on the walls, which is on a first come first serve basis.  The walls do not include electric. There are restrooms, but no showers.  There is no internet service available.   So, for the showers and the internet, I have spent a couple nights at municipal marinas.

Heading up flight locks 11/12

At Campbellford Municipal wall.

Top of flight locks 16/17

Getting ready to exit flight locks 16/17. The lock master allowed me to get off the boat to take some pictures, while I was still tied to the lock wall.

Lock master's office and public restrooms at Locks 16/17.  He had a beautiful garden.

Lock 20, at Peterborough.  My next lock.
Part of staying in Peterborough is because of weather.  It has been getting very windy and the weather reporters are predicting rain and thunderstorms.  This morning I left the Hastings lock wall (lock 18) at 5:15 a.m, so I could cross Rice Lake before the winds kicked in.  I knew I wanted to be in a marina for any storms.  First thing this morning, I made reservations at the Peterborough municipal marina.  When I arrived at lock 19, I found out the next lock was having problems and was closed.  I arrived here around noon and the lock walls were full.  There was potential for boats to get stuck in Peterborough without a place to tie up.  I think the lock ended up opening this afternoon, but meanwhile, I am glad I am here, because the winds did pick up substantially this afternoon and clouds are rolling in.

Canadians know how to have fun!  I took these pictures along the way.




Here in Peterborough, there must be a dozen "looper boats".  I also have crossed paths a couple times with other boaters.  In Oswego, I met "gold loopers", Pat and Dick on Knight Life, who did the loop a few years ago.  They were heading one direction, and I was headed another.  In Campbellford, we crossed paths again, as they headed south, while I was heading north.  They gave me great advice about places to go in Campbellford, including the "Butter Tart factory".  The pecan tarts are better than any pecan pie I have ever had in my life!

Knight Life heading south, while I am further up heading north.
Rick and Anne on Assisted Living were in front of me for the first 6 locks. They were celebrating the 4th of July, with their boat decorated and handing U.S. flags to all the Canadian lock masters.  They should get an award for patriotism!
Happy 4th of July!  Assisted Living
Other interesting things...
I mentioned before how easy it was to get through Canadian Customs... a simple phonecall, and they didn't even ask for my passport number!  OK... that was my experience, and the experience of many other people here on the waters.  However, one of the loopers decided to declare a shotgun.  The Canadian customs asked him about alcohol, and he explained he had a liter of alcohol, or something like that.  They boarded his boat to find a few gallons of alcohol.  They took his shotgun away, then decided to board another Looper boat, who was traveling with him and went through their boat too.  I saw him earlier today, and he said he was probably lucky they didn't throw him in jail.  I think he was given an ultimatum of losing the shotgun or leaving the country.  I am looking forward to talking to his wife, to get her version of the story!

Some random pictures:



Centennial Fountain at Peterborough. Ontario


No comments:

Post a Comment