Sunday, September 7, 2014

Back to the South

You know you are in the south when the local Mexican restaurant, offers you "sweet tea".

I continue to head down the rivers.  I finished up the Tennessee and started down the Tenn-Tom.  There isn't a whole lot going on.  Unlike Michigan, the marinas are miles from the nearby towns.  I did stop at one marina, which I had not expected to.  The Clifton marina was full, due to a festival, so I went to Riverstone Marina, a couple miles down the river.  At Riverstone, they described a nearby cajun restaurant, Meo Mio's, who was willing to pick me up and drop me back off at the marina.  I called and ordered "Crawfish Julie over Tilapia".  It was delicious.  The owner of the marina and his wife, were very hospitable and also prepare food at the marina.  They were up at dawn to fix breakfast for me and another couple doing the Loop.  In general, there aren't many restaurants or places to eat on these rivers.  At the Grand Harbor marina, I used their courtesy vehicle, and went into town, twenty minutes away, bought groceries and went to their local Mexican restaurant.  This is about as exciting as it has been... an occasional meal, cooked by someone else.

I am ahead of most of the other loopers.  I crossed paths with a looper boat heading north yesterday.  We chatted for a few minutes on the radio.  I also met a couple who plans to start the Loop in November.  In a month from now, the Great Loop rendezvous will be held in Alabama.  I have already passed the point where I would have turned off for the rendezvous, which is more than a month away.  I may be in Florida by then, it is hard to tell.  What I will really miss by not going to the rendezvous are many of the people I have met along this journey, who are also doing the Loop.

I did remember to put the card in the camera... so here are some pictures.  My favorite is the one of the guy fishing.

Foggy morning

Annabelle, ready for the fog to clear, so we can head down the river.

These barges are chipping wood.  I am not sure why this is done in the middle of the river.

One proud fisherman!

Beautiful sunsets

The Tenn-Tom  Waterway

1 comment:

  1. My favorite photo is of the boat with your bike on back.

    ReplyDelete