Thursday, April 24, 2014

Some Memorable Moments

OK... today is only the 4th day.  I am happy to be sitting back and relaxing!  There are moments, which I don't have any pictures of, but somehow, they seem like the ones that I wish I could paint a picture of!

The first, was the guy whose outboard exploded, as we were leaving the dock.  Fortunately, it went out before we could get them an extinguisher or take any pictures.  (I am sure Southport Marina has it on their footage.)

On our second day out, we went under two twelve foot bridges.  The Surf City bridge only opens on the hour.  We arrived about 15 minutes early, and I was tempted to see if I could lower my antenna so I could fit under the bridge.  I would have needed a wrench, and loosened it while hanging off the side of my little boat.  I chose to wait it out with Average Looper and a few other boats.  The bridges have fairly narrow openings to go through, and there are some general rules in going under bridges, which are usually followed.  One rule is to not pass other boats, another rule would be not to throw a large wake, as the energy of the wave created by the wake, will go back and forth within the confines of the opening.  Average Looper headed the line through the bridge, and I followed.  A cuddy cabin fishing type boat decided to head in after me, and pass me with a large wake, then cut across my bow, behind Average Looper, and into the marina just past the bridge.  The water is fairly contained between the walls of the bridge, so I felt like I was in a washing machine, being thrown around.  I had a few choice words for the captain of that fishing vessel, which I did not put out on the VHF radio, for everyone to hear.  It was all I could do to steer through the mess the fishing vessel made.

The last moment I wanted to share, happened last night.  I layed down in my little V-berth, under my cozy blankets, and looked up at the starry night sky, through my hatch.  The Big Dipper was perfectly framed by my hatch!  It was such a beautiful night!  I thought to myself that this was what doing the Loop is all about -  moments like this one, falling asleep under the stars.


1 comment:

  1. I finally found your blog, Tanya! I'm enjoying following you and seeing your pictures. I'm so glad you're having a wonderful experience. Be safe.

    Kathy Vollenweider

    ReplyDelete