Monday, June 2, 2014

A week in Cape May, NJ

I arrived in Cape May on Memorial Day.  I was a day ahead of several of my "looper" friends and decided to stay at South Jersey Marina.  While checking out the options, I read that South Jersey Marina had great bathrooms.  (Seriously, nice bathrooms are important to me!)  I really enjoyed my week at South Jersey Marina.  Every morning, I ate breakfast at Saltwater Cafe, which is on-site.  The staff was always helpful.  They have a shuttle service, which made getting groceries and going to town very easy.
Annabelle at South Jersey Marina


South Jersey Marina - Great Marina!!!!

View at sunset across from docks at South Jersey Marina
I can tell a lot about the weather by watching the sailors.
Most of my "looper" friends stayed at Utsch's Marina, about a block away.  Between these two marinas is a famous restaurant, "the Lobster House".  The Lobster House has several restaurants in one location including a fish market, take-out menu with outdoor seating, a raw bar, an outdoor bar/restaurant area on a floating boat, and a regular restaurant.  I enjoyed dinner there one evening with a few other "loopers", who I have run into several times over the last couple months.  I also enjoyed steamed clams with a ceaser salad on the outdoor "Schooner" with my Mom, when she arrived at the end of the week.  I bought lobster salad for our trip up the Jersey shore.

the Lobster House, taken from South Jersey marina.
One of the interesting aspects of South Jersey Marina, was that my son had sent me a text a year ago, of a picture of the Coast Guard Auxiliary office.  I remembered the picture he sent me, and I took my own.  It is hard to believe this Auxiliary has it's own waterside place in this great little town.  However, Cape May is the East Coast training center for the Coast Guard...so I guess it makes sense.

The first day I spent in Cape May, I went for a walk down to the Coast Guard training center, and I passed a couple interesting places on the way, including the Fisherman's Memorial.



One of the most interesting boats, which docked at South Jersey Marina, was a 1926 Mathis Yacht, Freedom.  This boat was a sister ship to the boat President Roosevelt had.  This 110 foot boat docked for the night, and then left the following morning.  As they headed out, they chose to turn around, using their thrusters, and almost took out the Garmin antenna on one of the sailboats, Destiny.  They came within a couple inches.

Freedom - 1926 Mathis Yacht Works
Freedom, as she leaves the marina.

Freedom making a tight turn, nearly clipping Destiny's antenna
On my final day in Cape May, my Mom came to visit and head up the Jersey shore with me for a couple days.  Here is a picture of us:

 

My Mom and I went to downtown Cape May.  It was surprising to see what types of things were charged for in Cape May, including parking at the grocery store if it takes more than a half hour and going out on the beach.  Cape May is known for its Victorian homes.  In the downtown area, there are many old hotels and B&B's.





We left Cape May on Sunday morning, and headed North... but that is another blog, for another day.  Tomorrow, we head to the NYC area!  Wish me luck!

1 comment: