Monday, May 26, 2014

Three Days, Three States -Memorial Day Weekend


I have been in three states in three days by boat!  CRAZY!  I left Maryland, spending Saturday night at Poole's Island.  This is a picture of the little island as I was heading further up the Chesapeake:
I was there by myself in a shallow anchorage, in the middle of the Chesapeake. I thought it would be a calm night, but there were thunderstorms just after I went to bed, and the boat rocked and rolled a lot during the night.  I am glad I went there, just because I could.  The charted depths are 3 feet at the anchorage.

Sunday, I headed up the remainder of the Chesapeake and went to Delaware City Marina.  I arrived early afternoon, just after a fellow-looper, John from Endeavor, who I had run into a week earlier at an anchorage.  My docking skills were put to the test, as Tim, the harbormaster led me in.  He very clearly explained what was expected in the small canal, and I followed his directions.  I passed the challenge with flying colors, putting my stern cleat at the cleat he was standing at, winning the "Docker of the Month" award.  I think he may have made up the award, on the spot.  However, I did have witnesses, and was given a quarter off, per foot, for dockage and a free hat!  The looper discount is already down to $1.00 per foot from $2.00, but I only had to pay 75 cents per foot.  There were several of us "loopers" at the marina, and it was a great little town.  I was able to walk into town and have an strawberry sundae... a perfect way to celebrate making it up the Chesapeake and through the C&D Canal into Delaware.
Turkey Point Lighthouse


I got out of their way in the C&D canal.  Don't mess with the BIG ships!


Delaware City from the channel heading to the marina.  Great town!!!

Strawberry ice cream, hot fudge, wet walnuts, whip cream and a cherry!  YUM!

I don't think I could say enough good things about this little town of Delaware City and the marina.  Tim was there to assist me in docking as well as un-docking this morning at 7:00.  My "looper" friends, including Mark and Jane, decided to stay longer.  Since I am in my small boat, I feel like I need to travel when I can. If the weather is good, I need to go.  I headed down the Delaware River, into the Delaware Bay, and finally to Cape May, NJ.  I guess I have hit the Jersey Shore.

Along my way to NJ, I was out there in the big waters by myself... or almost.  I came across a pod or school of dolphin.  My camera was close, as is everything in my boat... like within ten feet or so...and I managed to get a couple pictures.


It is hard to get dolphin pictures!  Meanwhile,it was a calm day on the Delaware Bay.  As I was arriving at the entrance to the New Jersey ICW at Cape May, a ferry was heading in.  The ferry goes to Lewes, Delaware, across the bay.  I might head over there in the next couple of days, while I wait on another good weather window.

Here it is, the end of another great Memorial Day weekend.  I am at Cape May, at South Jersey Marina, and life is good.









No comments:

Post a Comment