Friday, May 2, 2014

Leaving Lamb's and Heading to the Dismal Swamp

Lamb's Marina was a great place to stay.  It wasn't fancy, but the people there were friendly and helpful.  My prop was more difficult to take off than the diver expected, so he arranged to have my boat pulled onto a trailer.  Since he had taken the zinc and bolt off the prop, Annabelle had to be towed to the ramp.  After she was towed, we headed off to Norfolk where I got a new prop and dropped off my old one to be fixed.  It took the entire day.  The following morning, Annabelle was dropped back into the water with her new prop, and we headed back to Lamb's Marina for one last night of rain.

This older gentleman, Bill, was very kind, and he towed Annabelle with his little boat, with a 25 hp motor.  I have a picture of his very well-behaved dog.  Bill was there when I first docked, and there when I finally left the slip - helping with my lines.  The owners of Lamb's marina were concerned for me when my boat was on the trailer, and offered to let me stay in a spare bedroom at their home.  However, I stayed with Mark and Jane on Average Looper.  The night my boat was on the trailer, the dock where Annabelle had been, ended up under water because of all the rain.

The last night we stayed at Lamb's Marina, we had the most beautiful sunset.  I couldn't see well from my boat, so I went down and told Mark and Jane.  The three of us headed out to the bow of their boat to take pictures.

Bill's dog


 
In creek on way to ramp
Being towed to the ramp
Yes, it took two trucks!

Annabelle on the trailer waiting for her new prop.

We had a lot of rain!
Sunset at Lamb's Marina
Today, we headed out to the Great Dismal Swamp.  I was looking forward to an enjoyable, peaceful ride.  It was not as relaxing as one might think though.  The canal is narrow, and there are logs and other debris floating or sticking out. It is not an area one can use auto pilot and relax.  There were a total of 5 boats ahead of me - two sailboats, and 3 other "Looper" boats.  As people saw or hit things, they would radio back to the boats behind them.   I also had my first "locking through" experience.  I expected to tie one line from my mid-ship cleat (which is towards the front of my boat) and loop it around the part at the lock and then bring it back to my cam cleat.  The lockmaster instructed me to use a bow and stern line, and did not want me tying up the way I had planned.  It did not go well.  While trying to reach out my window and hand him the bow line, I accidentally put my boat into reverse (it was in neutral), I was trying to run my boat and take care of lines, and dodge logs.  There was a log directly in front of me and one on my side. UGH!  Once, my lines were taken care of, the rest was fairly easy.  I had to go back and forth between bow and stern tightening up my lines as the water level raised 8 feet.

Tonight, we are docked at the Dismal Swamp visitor's center.  In the morning is a kayak race.  Tomorrow night, we will stay at Elizabeth dock, on this side of the next lock.  I have heard the lockmaster at the next lock has coffee and donuts available in the morning for people who have spent the night.  I am hoping to have some time to talk to him about locking, so I can improve.  I have about 150 locks to go through, so I will have lots of practice and I don't think I could do worse.

Sunday, we are going to Norfolk, where we will be staying for a few days for the Great Loop Rendezvous.  (I will also get some repairs done!)

Sign for South Mills Lock in the Dismal Swamp


2 comments:

  1. You must be relieved that Annabelle got fixed in a timely manner, and that you were comfortable throughout the whole process. As for locking through; while you could say that you could have done better, you were pretty good for a first timer. It's always the tying-up that's most difficult. Anyway, I hope you had a nice trip afterwards!

    Kent Garner @ White's Marine Center

    ReplyDelete