Monday, July 21, 2014

Into Georgian Bay

It is hard to believe that only a week has gone by and I have done so much.  One of the highlights of entering the Georgian Bay is going through the Big Chute, Lock 44, railway lock.  I arrived at Big Chute and docked at the free docks. It was in the afternoon, so I walked over and watched how the locking was done.  As it approached 5:00, I talked to the lift operators, and they encouraged me to go ahead and do the Big Chute then, as it was quiet and they could put me "front and center" with the best views.  I headed to my boat, and went over to the loading area. Another boat was already there, but they were asked to let me go in front.  The lift operators put boats where they want them.  It was amazing to ride the lift, on the front of my boat.  We head out of the water, over a road (and the railroad signs come down), then down the other slope and into the water.  It was so impressive, that I decided the following day to buy a day pass for $40 to do it all over again.  The second day, I was able to take a video. It was pouring rain the second day.  During the night, I stayed at the bottom of the original railway lift.

Big Chute Railway Lock:  They can hold many boats. The building is about three stories tall.
Heading west, over the hill.

At the summit, approaching the lock building.

Heading over to the other side.  There are huge granite rocks down the middle.
About to be put back in the water.

The original railroad lock and car.


My view up the original railway lift from my boat.
I don't know if I mentioned it, but at every lock, there is a power station.  Each lock is like a mini Hoover Dam (near Las Vegas).  Power is generated from the flow of the water.  The flow downstream is regulated by the dams and how much water is allowed to flow through.  There are times, like after a rain, when the water levels upstream are high, so they let more water flow downstream.  These adjustments affect the turbulence around the locks.  The turbulence can be difficult to maneuver in, especially when being asked to go "Dead Slow".  Some of us have talked about having to power through the turbulence, then we find ourselves heading into the lock faster than we like, so then we slow it down very, very quickly... to "dead slow".  Interestingly, Canadians call power or electricity, "hydro".

At the very last lock of the Trent Severn waterway, I was met by my friend Jim, from Bluenoser.  He met me in Port Severn for lunch, then boarded Annabelle with me and we officially headed into the waters of the Georgian Bay.  We went to his hometown, Penetanguishine, where he and his wife live. I spent a few days in Penetanguishine with Jim and Wendy.  I spent way more time on my boat, doing repairs, than I planned.  I think Jim would have enjoyed showing me around more.  Jim finished the Great Loop early in June.  I think he is still getting adjusted to home life.

While in Penetanguishine, I decided it was time to change my oil, having been just over 250 hours, since my last change.  I also had to tighten my alternator belt.  Jim helped me with both, and it is probably better to do these things with good company.  While I was cleaning up the mess, the service manager walked by and asked if there was anything I needed.  I asked about where to dispose of the oil, and he took it for me.  Then, I mentioned that I thought my auto pilot pump was not working.  He offered to have someone look at it the following day.  I had been fortunate earlier that day, the marina had a spare alternator belt for my boat, since I had been using the spare I brought.  The following day, his mechanic came and looked at the boat, and said the auto pilot pump had seized.  He banged it with a crescent wrench, and it started working.  However, there was no way to tell how long it would last.  They actually were able to find the exact same pump at a sister marina.  They brought it over and put it on my boat the following morning.  With all this good fortune, I decided to mention the stern thruster not working as well, which is a pain to get to.  Again, they said they could fix it, and they did... on the same day.  Although these repairs cut into my touring time, they were appreciated!

All things considered, I enjoyed the days I spent in Penetanguishine and appreciate Jim and Wendy for their wonderful hospitality.  Jim picked a great marina for me to be in, walking distance from his home, and with great staff.  Jim helped me plan my trip for the rest of the Georgian Bay and through the North Channel, which I am already enjoying immensely.

The first stop after leaving Penetanguishine is Henry's, a place known for its fish and chips.  When I arrived at Henry's, the owner welcomed me with a big hug, telling me he had been expecting me.  Of course, I didn't know who this man was that was giving me this big bear hug, so I had to ask him who he was!  Steve, from Atla, had told him ahead of time that I would be showing up later that day.  The docks were busy, and there are times, there is a line of boats just to get to the docks.  There are seaplanes that dock there also, taking passengers to Henry's for lunch or dinner.  Their signature dish is pickerel, a locally caught fish.  I enjoyed my lunch and headed to Echo Bay, where I anchored for the night, next to Atla and about a dozen other boats for a peaceful evening.  Sans Souci Island where Echo Bay is located, is a state or provincial park.  It doesn't fall into the federal Canadian Park system and they charge for going to the shore.  Many boats were tied to the shore, and had to pay $10 for the privelege.  Another boater had his dinghy at the dinghy dock, and he was also charged.  I watched as the state troopers went around collecting for the evening, long after 5 p.m, just as it was starting to get dark.
Henry's

Henry's as I was headed off towards Echo Bay

Seaplane coming into Henry's

Seaplane one finger pier over from Annabelle

Paul, the owner of Henry's.  Some people call him Henry.

Even late, on a Saturday night, these guys are working and making sure all the park fees are collected.

Anchored in Echo Bay.  The white boat has tied to the shore, so has to pay.  Neither Steve (Atla) or I had to pay.

From Echo Bay, I left early in the morning, headed to Parry Sound.  It was foggy, but I wanted to get to Parry Sound early, to schedule a seaplane flight.  Paul (owner of Henry's) had introduced me to the owner of Georgian Bay Airways, and I wanted to make sure to get onto the schedule.  They scheduled me in the afternoon, with another couple, on the "Blue Line" tour, which covers a couple days in my travels.  It was a great perspective from high above the water, showing the outlines of the different rocks below, which can't be seen at the waterline.  Here are some pictures:

Headed to Parry Sound in the fog. Many islands have their names painted on them.




Today, I am heading to Point a Baril, once the fog lifts.  The list for this week also includes the Bustard Islands, Killarney, Baie Finn and Little Current.  It is hard to say when I will get to any of these places.  We are supposed to have rain on Wednesday.  Fog and wind will also play a role as to where I end up on any given day.




2 comments:

  1. Welllllllll what can I say....I'm jealous! :;) you're friend in the desert, Mary

    ReplyDelete