Friday, August 29, 2014

Heading downstream.

It is hard to imagine it has been over a week since I left Chicago and headed downstream.  I left the Illinois River yesterday and am now in the Mighty Mississippi.  There is more than four knots of current in the river, which will make it go by quickly.

I had a very, very blonde moment one morning.  I was checking and emptying my strainers.  I had shut the through-hull, which allows water to come into the engine to keep it cool.  In my blonde moment, I forgot to shut the through-hull.  I started the engine and within a few minutes it overheated.  I turned the engine off, and shut the through hull, hoping I had not done any damage.  It appeared everything was alright.  After about 8 hours of heading down the river, my engine didn't sound right and I had black smoke coming into the cabin from the engine compartment.  My temperature gauge was at a normal level.  I pulled to the side of the river and dropped my anchor.  I also noticed the rug next to the engine compartment was wet... and there was black everywhere.  I called my son, Dean, who suggested it was the exhaust.  I then called our Towboat captain, John, from Southport.  I explained there was a hole in the muffler.  He gave me suggestions on how to patch it.  I was able to head downstream to a marina, about 16 miles further down river.  The closest repair facility was about 136 miles down river.  The duct tape and hose clamps kept the exhaust out of the cabin until I could make the repairs.

Hole in muffler, probably weakened when the engine overheated.
It was a Sunday night, and I thought about the different ways I could patch the muffler to get down the next 120 miles.  After a good night sleep though, I ordered a new muffler on Monday morning, to be delivered on Tuesday, at the marina.  I had my work cut out for me.  In addition to fixing the muffler, I also needed to replace my impeller, which can be damaged by overheating the engine.  Changing the impeller proved to be more difficult than the muffler.  I also had to clean out my air filter, as it was grimy with oily, black soot.  I was fortunate to have great help at the marina.  Bob, the owner of Tall Timbers marina, helped me pull out my impeller.  Ted, another boater, took me to the farm store to pick up bolts and cleaning supplies.  Steve, from Atla, showed up on time to help me get the muffler in place long enough to put on the clamps.  The weather has been brutally hot at over 90 degrees, with about 95% humidity.

Sometimes, we stay in places we don't expect and we meet awesome people along the way.  This is another one of those times.  Tall Timbers is one of my favorite stops on this loop. The little town, Havana, is within walking distance from the marina. I was able to ride my bike to the hardware store.  Bob wanted to be there when I left, so he could make sure my exhaust was working correctly.  I left Wednesday around lunchtime, after cleaning up my boat.  I had black smudges everywhere, from my engine work.  As I headed down the river, I checked the engine compartment a couple times, and everything appears to be working well.

Everyone talks about the Asian Carp.  I have been fortunate so far,not to have them flying into my boat.  I see them jump every once in a while.  There are also pontoon boats, who take people out to shoot the carp with spear-gun bows.  I have also heard they are "good eat'n".

The engines stir up the Asian Carp, which jump.  Then the guys on the back shoot at them.
Wednesday night, I anchored out at Big Blue Island, about 60 miles south of Havana.  Yesterday, I came to Alton.  I was able to meet up with Ted and his wife Christene again, who I met at Tall Timbers.  I plan to leave this morning after a run to the grocery store and keep heading down the Mississippi.  Per Steve, on Atla, the barges are bigger and throw large wakes.  In going down the Mississippi, I might not have much cell phone coverage.  There are not any services for 225 miles after fueling up at Hoppies, which will be later today.

The Mighty Mississippi

No comments:

Post a Comment