Friday, August 1, 2014

Mackinac Island (pronounced as Mackinaw)

I am happily back in the States!  The last week while I was up in the Northern Channel, I was feeling very homesick. I couldn't use my cell phone, but I did manage to call a few people on Skype.  Although, I am continuously running into many wonderful, kind people, it isn't the same.  Maybe the few days I spent "weathered in" at Kagawong affected me as well. I am not sure.

After 4 nights at Kagawong, the wind finally died down a little, and the water was flat. Saturday night, the winds were terrible, even in the safety of the marina.  Sunday, the dockmaster and his wife offered to let me stay at their home, they worried I wouldn't sleep if the winds persisted another night.  At 7:40 that evening, the winds died down.  I had explained to the dockmaster that I would be gone before he returned at 8 the next morning, if the water was calm.  It was... and I left the dock around 6:30 on Monday morning.  The waters did not stay calm for long.  Once I was out in the open, the seas came up and it was reminiscent of being in the Abermarle Sound.  There were a couple differences though.  One difference was that I was out there in the big open waters alone for most of the day.  I also knew that the distance I had to travel was much farther than I had in the Abermarle.  At one point, six "go-fast" boats flew by me.  Then, it was just me out there again, wondering what happens in the winter, when all the water in this massive area is solid ice.  The biggest difference, was the rough seas didn't particularly bother me, I felt safe and comfortable in my boat, and didn't really worry about anything.

I had plans to stay in an anchorage on the Canadian side of the border, on the southwestern corner of Cockburn Island (pronounced Co-burn).  The anchorage was very exposed, so I headed into U.S. waters, and anchored in a small inlet in the southeastern shore of Drummond Island.  At this point, I had no cell service.  Occasionally, a text would go through.  From my anchorage, it was about 6 hours to Mackinac Island, five of them in fog.  It was a long journey!

Mackinac Island is a very, very busy place, and boaters have to make reservations well in advance through the Michigan State Park system.  I had a schedule to keep, which is less than ideal when boating.  I had been told that clearing customs here, was much easier in Mackinac Island than clearing in Drummond Island (northwest corner).  Most of the boaters I know, had their boats searched coming through Drummond, and I simply made a video phonecall, as part of the OARS program.  There were no lines.  However, I did have my moment of panic.  As I was coming through the fog, I started thinking about how I should be blowing my horn, especially as I approached civilization.  My radar was working well, and I hadn't seen anyone out there.  I decided I should get the blowing of the horn right, so I was looking it up in my book.  While doing this, I stumbled upon the Customs section of the cruising guidebook, only to read about calling into the 800 number for customs immediately upon entering U.S. waters, and to even anchor, was considered being in the U.S., and one could incur a $5,000 fine.  In the midst of reading this, the fog cleared, and I could see Mackinac Island, about 30 to 45 minutes away.  I quickly called customs, got transferred a couple times, and was told not to worry, just check into the OARS phone when I arrived.  Everything went smoothly.  I had tossed the last of my fresh produce out into Lake Huron in the fog, not that anyone asked.

When I arrived in Mackinac Island, Steve and his wife, Wendy, from Atla were there.  As we were having lunch, I saw No Compromises coming in.  Later, when visiting Tom and Vera, on No Compromises, I also saw Jim and Meg, from Sanctuary.  Estrellita was also here, along with a couple other Looper boats.  Meg and Jim left yesterday to head to their home port in Harbor Springs.  Once the fog lifts this morning, I will head to Harbor Springs as well, along with Stel and Burke from Estrellita.

Mackinac Island is a very touristy area.  The only means of transportation on the island include walking, riding a bike, or horses.  The streets are lined with tourist shops, mostly selling their famous fudge.  Horse-led carriages have the right of way.  The bicyclists are on the street, and everyone else stays to the sides.  There is an 8 mile paved trail around the island.  Stel, Burke and I bicycled around the island.  The waters around us were crystal clear.  The windward or western side of the island had waves crashing, and the leeward side or eastern shore, had calm, flat waters.  We will be heading west, and hopefully, the waters will be calmer today.  After the bike ride, I headed up the hill to the Grand Hotel, which is quite famous. At the Grand Hotel, I bought some fresh flowers for my boat.

In Kagawong, I met Earl and Karen at the marina, who have a summer home there. They ame by the marina the day before I left and offered to take me into Gore Bay with them, where they took me out for breakfast.  We walked around Gore Bay and went to the grocery store.  I didn't buy any groceries, knowing I would be heading through customs in a couple days.  Earl and Karen live in Florida for most of the year, so hopefully, when I head through their hometown in Florida, I will see them again.

Meanwhile, here are some pictures. It is 10 a.m., and we are all waiting for the fog to lift.

Meg and Jim, leaving Mackinac Island on Sanctuary, their last day of the Great Loop.

Across the street from my boat are the horse drawn carriages waiting for passengers, with the fort in the background.

Heading up the hill to the Grand Hotel

The chandelier in the Cupula, the bar at the top of the Grand Hotel.
Heading towards Mackinac Island... this is what I saw when the fog finally cleared.

So close to Mackinac Island... almost there!


Another beautiful sunset, at anchor.


1 comment:

  1. We are enjoying your blog. Glad you are doing well. Living your dream not just dreaming about it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete