Sunday, May 18, 2014

Heading up the Chesapeake

The Chesapeake is BIG!  There are times it is difficult to see the shore.  I have a small boat, and it is definitely not a "go anywhere" type boat.  I have to time the Chesapeake for waves and wind.

When I was in Hampton, I was docked next to Gary and Alice, on Counter Offer, a 32+2 Albin.  Gary and I had compared plans on anchorages, coming up with two choices, one on the Hampton side of the Rappahannock River, and one on the far side of the river.  There was about 2 hours difference in the anchorages.  The weather was supposed to be a little choppy, with 2 to 3 foot seas and 10 to 15 mph winds.  After a few hours, I heard from Counter Offer, that they were going to head into the first anchorage.  I chose to continue on, as the afternoon forecast was better with the winds and seas decreasing.  As predicted, the afternoon was much smoother than the morning.  I ended up going further than the second anchorage to Ingram Bay, and up Cockrell Creek.  I found a peaceful, beautiful spot to anchor and the night was calm.  I don't think my boat moved.

This morning, I had plans to head past the Potomac River, and to Soloman's Island.  However, the weather forecast was not as accurate as yesterday.   The two to three foot seas became three to four.  The winds were 15 to 20, with gusts.  My little boat handled the seas well, but my microwave was moving all over the place and had to be relocated to the V-berth, where I sleep.  As I was heading into the Little Wicomico River at Smith Point, the waves were getting bigger and bigger.  One wave came at me like a wall of water, over my entire boat.  I was glad the microwave had found a new home!  On the map, those two hours don't look very impressive.  I came into a new anchorage.  Another "looper" was here on Endeavor, a catamaran.  John, from Endeavor, had spent the last couple nights waiting for the wind and waves to calm down.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I can head up the Chesapeake for Soloman's Island or go further.  The next marina I plan to stay in is Herrington Harbor, south of Annapolis.

Here are a few pictures...

Looking out from my dock at Hampton City dock the night before I left.  I will miss Hampton!

I saw these sailboats off to my port side as I headed up the Chesapeake.  Fortunately, I have a good zoom lens.

Entering Ingram Bay, there was this boat house, which is very interesting.  I wonder what it looks like inside.

I don't know what kind of boats these are, but they are both bigger than mine. What kind of fishing they are doing?

Cockrell's Crab and Seafood Deli.  I anchored just past their fishing boat.

Sunset at my anchorage, peaceful and quiet. the water was still and looked like glass.

Morning at the anchorage.  If only the Chesapeake could be this peaceful!

Heading out to the Chesapeake at the break of day, before I had to relocate my microwave!

1 comment:

  1. It's nearly three years late, but those fishing boats were menhaden boats. The smaller boat slides off the stern and pulls the net around the school of menhaden. It brings the end of the net back to the larger boat, which tightens the net around the school. Once the net is drawn tight along side the the larger ship, the fish are then sucked out of the water with a huge vacuum tube. Google "menhaden fishing" and check out some of the images.

    ReplyDelete