Saturday, May 24, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend - leaving Annapolis

I left Annapolis early this afternoon.  I brought my grandkids to Annapolis last summer. While in Annapolis this time, I was able to revisit some of the places I had been last summer.  More importantly, I was able to meet up with friends and make new friends.

Joie, a friend of my son, lives in Annapolis.  She had promised me a hot bath.  Her friend, Wendy, graciously offered up her home for an afternoon, so I could relax, get my laundry done, and soak in the tub.  Joie also offered to have a BBQ at her home and invited Mark and Jane, the not-so-average-loopers.  I was able to spend a few days in Annapolis and hang out with Joie, which was great.   Mark and Jane took a video, which they posted on their Average Looper facebook page.  Check it out, they have been making daily videos.

There were many, many boats on the Chesapeake outside of Annapolis this afternoon.  The Chesapeake was calm, but the wakes from all the power boats were crazy.  After I got past the Annapolis area, everything settled down.  Tonight, I am at an anchorage at Poole's Island, which is used for military exercises.  It is peaceful here, and I am the only one at the anchorage.

Tomorrow, I will be heading up the Chesapeake to the C & D Canal.  I have missed a number of amazing places on this Bay, and I hve spent time in places I didn't expect.  I hope to come back here someday and spend more time. Meanwhile, it is time to move on.

Here are some pictures:

Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse - I was able to get fairly close to it.

One of the many sailboats in the Bay today.  I liked the interesting sail design.

Bluebird!  Another Ranger Tug!

This ship was anchored, but surprisingly, there were some large ships still moving on this holiday weekend.

This family was fishing in a skiff... the water was calm, and they appeared to be surviving all the wakes from other boats.

The sun setting at my peaceful anchorage at Poole's Island.


















No comments:

Post a Comment