Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Boat Repairs

Coming out of the Dismal Swamp and into Norfolk was a big change.  There are shipyards, industrial areas, cranes, tall buildings, etc...  I have left the tranquility of the swamp and headed into a city.  "Loopers" are having a rendezvous in Norfolk this week.  During the rendezvous, we get to meet each other, see each other's boats, and compare notes.  There are seminars each day which cover the areas we will be traveling, as well as other information which we may find helpful.  At any given time, there are two seminars.  Today, I would have loved to go to both the New York Canal System and the seminar on how to "lock through".  Despite my first bad experience, I went to the seminar on the New York canals.

Another aspect of being in Norfolk, is the ability to get my boat fixed.   I am actually at a boatyard, across from Norfolk, in Portsmouth.  The second picture, I took from the back of my boat, looking towards the marina in Norfolk, where all my looper friends have their boats.  I am taking the ferry (3rd picture) to Norfolk for the rendezvous.  The area around my propeller shaft has been leaking and had some problems, which need to be fixed, as well as my motor mounts.  While I am here, I am also getting new foot switches for my windlass for my anchor.  One of my switches was corroded and I had to cut the wires for it.  I also need to repair my stern thruster.  At this point, I am hoping to have the repairs finished by Friday, so I can move forward with my friends.  I have a feeling it may not work quite that easily.

I mentioned the "locking through" seminar, which I didn't go to.  Since my first bad experience, I learned to be better prepared.  My second locking experience, on the northern end of the Dismal Swamp, went very well.  I would say 'almost perfectly', except my lines were too short.  Once again, I was asked to use both a bow and stern line.  This second time, I used my midship line, which is towards the bow, and my stern line.  Instead of going up 8 feet, we went down 8 feet.  I was holding the ends of the lines, one in each hand, and finally, on tiptoe, I had to let my bow line go free.  It just wasn't long enough.  I held myself close to the wall by using my hook and holding the stern line.  When all was said and done, it went smoothly.  As I started pulling my bow line down, I felt a tug... I had a moment of panic, until I looked up and saw the lockmaster smiling at me holding the other end.  He threw it down to me with a smile, then threw my stern line down to me, and I knew I had done a good job.  The first thing I did when I got into Norfolk was order longer dock lines.  From talking to people, I usually won't have to use my own lines and I will be able to just use the one line, which I was initially prepared for.



1 comment:

  1. Check out this video, you may get a surprise at about minut 5 into the video:

    http://youtu.be/SMjo9bof9Mg

    ReplyDelete